Sunday, July 4, 2010

Natalie Wood

Natalie Wood was the first actress I really paid attention to. I have been a big fan since I was thirteen. I am not going to go into her lengthy filmography, because there are too many movies to even feature- she has been in film since she was a little girl (you remember Miracle on 34th Street, don't you?) But I am going to feature her as a style icon.
Natalie was of Russian decent. She had these gorgeous doll-like, feminine features and the most fabulous hair. She really played the movie star thing up when she went out- she always wore furs and jewels and drove hot cars and all of that. She went all out.

I love these pony tails

And one of my favorite looks, the bow.

I just find it a feminine and pretty look.

Here she is with the longer hair- but always lots of eye make up, which is one of the things I love about the 1960s.

This haircut is so simplistic and chic- love this.
I just recently read a biography on Natalie Wood and it really saddened me. It basically laid out how she really died. I don't know if you guys remember, but she drowned off the coast of Catalina Island, after being afraid of dark water her entire life. Well, apparently, she had a fight with someone on a boat..and the person in question was heard mocking her while she was begging for help out of the water. She was dead within hours. They need to open that case back up, because someone needs to go down for that. This woman was a person who worked so hard on so many wonderful films, such a talented, lovely person. I hope justice is served for the sake of her memory.

Here is a clip of Natalie from West Side Story: